Search
Close this search box.
Search
Close this search box.

Sorting Textiles for Recycling

False-color hyperspectral image of cotton

Of the many efforts of conservation and reduction of waste, textiles remain one of the greatest challenges. The United States EPA estimates that of the 25 billion pounds of post-consumer textile waste recycled, only 15% is recycled and repurposed, while the remaining 85% of it ends up in landfills.1 The challenge facing textile recycling projects is discerning between similar looking fabrics at a high throughput. The ideal solution for this challenge would be a non-contact classifier that can sort the different fabrics and blends at high speeds. With Headwall’s hyperspectral imaging (HSI) sensors, and
perClass Mira’s machine learning software, Headwall provides a potential solution to this problem.